Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Gluten Free Coconut Bread with Pineapple Butter

This post is originally from October 2009. I am submiting this over at The Gluten Free Homemaker's Create a Quick Bread Challenge this month.
After documenting all the food that my family eats over the last nine months, I now realize that we consume more butter and sugar than some small developing nations. But hey, I'm on roll, why stop now? In high school gym class they always yelled; "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger." Shouldn't that apply to food as well? As we head in to the weekend, I've got a nice little breakfast / anytime treat for you.
Gluten Free Coconut Bread with Sweet Pineapple Butter:
inspired by: Tyler Florence's Real Kitchen modified to be GF
1/2 cup butter (1 stick, melted)
2 tsp xanthan gum
1 Tbs baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup brown sugar (packed)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
Zest of 1 lemon (finely grated)
1-1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
1-1/2 cups shredded coconut (toasted)
Powdered sugar for dusting
Sweet Pineapple Butter:
1/2 cup butter (1 stick, softened)
4 ounces crushed pineapple (drained)
Bake at 375 degrees F for 50-60 minutes Begin by toasting the coconut in a 350 degree F oven for 5-10 minutes, stirring periodically. Keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn.
While the coconut is toasting, whisk all the dry ingredients, except for the brown sugar, together in a bowl and set aside.
In the bowl of your stand mixer, combine brown sugar, melted butter, vanilla, eggs, and lemon zest. Mix thoroughly. Next, slowly mix in the coconut milk.
Finally, stir the toasted coconut in to the batter. Pour the batter in to a greased 9x5 pan and bake at 375 degrees F for 50-60 minutes.
While the bread is baking, place 1 stick of softened butter along with 4 ounces of well drained crushed pineapple in to a food processor.
Pulse the butter and pineapple together until light and fluffy.
Remove the bread from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 20 minutes before turning out on to a cooling rack. Slice the bread, toast it, and top with pineapple butter and a dusting of powdered sugar. Enjoy with a cup of fresh coffee!!!

8 comments:

  1. Ha! I love your attitude. I can only imagine a scary, somewhat unnerving journal if we were to keep track of our meals for nine months.

    The recipe looks delicious, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Far better to eat butter than all of that weird stuff out there IMHO. This bread looks positively fantastic. I'm glad you take photos all along the process ... I just love ingredients in the mixing bowl--so gorgeous. Toasted coconut and coconut oil--divine!

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apparently I missed this the first time around, so I'm glad you reposted it. It looks beautiful, and I love the flavors, especially the pineapple butter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I'm ashamed to say that I still haven't made this bread, Brian. I'd forgotten about it, but thanks so much for refreshing my memory with your linky at Linda's--it's perfect for this time of year, but still has that hint of warm weather paradise to it. ;-)

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  5. You totally ROCK! Great bread.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually made this bread. It is wonderful. I use the same flour blend Brian has, but I usually do half and half white and brown rice flour with the tapioca and potato starch. I thought it was a bit much for my 9x5 pan, but it was fine. I love the salty sweet pineapple butter. I will make this again and agin.

    ReplyDelete

 
ss_blog_claim=48f73641ec8d8c4161bdd940ed323b1d