Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Gluten Free Chicken Fried Steak with Country Gravy

I was really hoping to get this post done sooner. However, a sick wife, a three year old, and a broken clothes dryer have kept me busy. I did manage to fix the clothes dryer by myself(applause!!). I know, you're all amazed that I can cook and do appliance repairs. I will say that I am much better at cooking. I spent about three hours tearing the entire clothes dryer apart, cutting my hand, and finally figuring out what was broken. I realized that if I had known what I was doing, it should have taken me all but 15 minutes to fix the problem. I better stick to cooking.

I don't have a big background in cooking chicken fried steak. However, I found a good recipe to turn inexpensive cube steak into a great meal.
Chicken Fried Steak with Country Gravy
Inspired by Alton Brown, modified to be GF
2 pounds of cube steak (about 1/2 an inch thick)
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 cup GF flour mix
2 eggs (beaten)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup milk (I use 1%)
1 tsp thyme Whisk together the salt, pepper, and flour. Here's where you can get a little creative to suite your taste. Feel free to season the flour as you like. I actually added a pinch of cayenne pepper and a pinch of smoked paprika to my flour mix. Set up a little work area like the picture above. Spread the flour mix on a plate. Next, have a plate with the beaten eggs on it. Finally, have a large plate to hold the steaks.Here is the three step process to prep the steaks: Take each steak and dredge it through the flour on both sides. Next, dredge it through the egg on both sides. Go back to the flour mix and dredge it again on both sides. Repeat for each steak.
I used an electric skillet to cook my steak. Heat the oil in the skillet to 350-360 degrees. Cook the steaks for about 4-5 minutes per side or until done. Remove the steaks from the skillet and place on an oven proof plate. Put the steaks in a 250 degree oven just to stay warm while you make the gravy. To make the gravy: use 3-4 Tbs of the leftover dredging flour. Whisk the flour into the juices in the skillet. Add the chicken broth and whisk until the gravy comes to a boil and begins to thicken. Add the milk and thyme, whisking until the gravy coats the back of a spoon, about 5-10 minutes. Season to taste with more salt and pepper if needed. Pour the gravy over the steak and some mashed potatoes and you're all set for an inexpensive hearty dinner. Enjoy!!!

7 comments:

  1. Yum! That's some kind of comfort food. Looks delicious.

    And as for the dryer - next time (if there IS a next time) you won't have to spend 3 hours. You'll be the genius who can whip out that repair job in 15 minutes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband loves this, but for some reason the kids don't.

    Don't get down on yourself about the dryer. That's how you learn, and next time you'll know, except that next time it will be something different. :) At least you saved the cost of having it repaired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, impressive! I like your production line. :-)

    I think that's pretty impressive you fixed the dryer. My hubby can't cook or fix dryers (but he has other skills like laying hardwood floors and cutting firewood in excess). Sorry about the cut hand. Hope everyone is well now!

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, thank you. This is one of my husband's favorite meals!

    Natalie @ Gluten A Go Go

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! Comfort food is just what my family needs right now as we get back on our feet from the flu. Thanks for your well wishes last week. I hope your wife and daughter are on the mend.

    Way to go on the dryer adventure. That would so be me. My husband would have gone straight to the phone for a repairman, but I would have trudged my way through.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the fact a man can cook, my husband woould never be able to cook for me, I am a celiac and gravy has always been too starchy until I discovered (sweet rice flour)I also use it to dredge the chicken strips or whatever meat I'm cooking and it works wonderful, being a celiac is much easer than it was when I was diagnosed in 1997.

    ReplyDelete

 
ss_blog_claim=48f73641ec8d8c4161bdd940ed323b1d