Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Gluten Free Lamb Kebabs with Tzatziki

I'll be honest here, I don't stray very far from beef or chicken when I make a meal. In fact my family eats a lot of chicken. Sometimes it is nice to break up the monotony of chicken dishes with a fresh new idea. I made lamb kebabs the other night and they were incredible. The meat has such a great deep flavor and the accompanying marinade was perfect; with lemon, garlic, and mint. I also made Greek tzatziki sauce to go along with the kebabs. The combination of the light sauce and rich meat is outstanding. The marinade I used worked well on chicken also. I guess I can't stray too far from the old standby.
Lamb Marinade
makes enough for 3-4 pounds of meat
3/4 cup olive oil
2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
6 cloves of garlic-minced
2 Tbs fresh mint-chopped
4 tsp salt
4 tsp lemon zest
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
Mix all ingredients together
I used a 1 pound lamb steak and 1 pound of chicken breasts for my kebabs. Cut the meat into roughly 2 inch cubes.
Place the meat in a medium bowl and cover with marinade. Reserve some of the marinade for the vegetables. Allow the meat to marinade for at least 2-3 hours covered in the refrigerator. Cube up some of your favorite vegetables; I used green and red bell peppers, onion, and zucchini.
Preheat your grill. I like to make kebabs with all vegetables or all meat on the skewer for easier cooking since the meat takes a little longer to cook than the vegetables. I cooked the meat kebabs for about 6-7 minutes, flipped them over once and cooked them for another 6-7 minutes. Before you put the vegetables on the grill, give them a quick brushing with the reserved marinade. Cook the vegetables for about 4 minutes per side.

Now for a great, light and fresh sauce to accompany our kebabs.
Greek Tzatziki Sauce:
can be made a day in advance
14 ounces Greek yogurt
1 English cucumber- finely shredded (seeded but not peeled)
1/4 cup sour cream
2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
1 Tbs white wine vinegar
1 Tbs fresh dill-minced
1-1/2 tsp garlic-minced
2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

Combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl.
Serve your kebabs with the tzatziki sauce on the side to dip the meat in. The combination of the cool fresh tzatziki and the rich marinated lamb is out of this world. Enjoy!!!

4 comments:

  1. That looks terrific, Brian. It helps knowing that you are usually a beef and chicken guy. If you liked it, maybe I will too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm. I love lamb and I love tzatziki. I never thought about putting the veggies and meat on separate skewers. I will have to try this at my next cookout!
    Heather (http://gluten-free-foodie.net)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fabulous. Thanks for the inspiration. Sometimes I need to change up my meals, and change out the chicken, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks bloody gorgeous! Thank you for this & your Garlic Naan recipe-my mouth is drooling!!!

    ReplyDelete

 
ss_blog_claim=48f73641ec8d8c4161bdd940ed323b1d