Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Gluten Free Macaroni and Cheese

Yes, Yes, I'm still alive. It has been a trying couple of weeks. My car broke down and had to have the engine rebuilt and then my wife got strep throat. I figure I'm about a six pack of beer and a lost dog away from a good Country Western song. Here in the Portland area the weather can't seem to decide what to do. One day it's sunny and warm, the next it is cold, windy, and rainy. It's best just to whip up some comfort food and stick close to home this time of year. I don't usually get too crazy with macaroni and cheese. Simple is often best. However, I saw an episode of Barefoot Contessa where Ina made up some mac and cheese that looked delicious, bold, and easy. So, I had to give it a go.
Grown Up Macaroni and Cheese:
courtesy of Ina Garten, modified to be GF
4 ounces thick-sliced bacon
8-12 ounces GF elbow pasta (I use Ancient Harvest Quinoa)
1 1/2 cups milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons GF flour mix
4 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated
3 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar, grated
2 ounces blue cheese, such as Roquefort, crumbled
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Pinch nutmeg
2 slices GF sandwich bread (I use Whole Foods Brand)
2 tablespoons freshly chopped basil leaves Cook the pasta per directions on the package. Drain well and set aside. Cook the bacon, coarsely chop and set aside.
In a medium sauce pan, melt butter and add the gf flour. Stir to combine. Whisk in the milk until it become smooth and coats the back of a spoon. Do not allow the milk to boil. Add all of the cheese and stir until smooth and creamy.
Add the chopped bacon, pepper, and nutmeg.
In a food processor, add the gf bread and basil. Pulse until combined into crumbs.
Mix the pasta and cheese sauce together. Pour into a 9x13 baking dish or several smaller baking dishes. Cover with bread crumb mixture. Bake at 400 degrees F for 10-15 minutes or until the bread topping is golden brown. Enjoy!!!

9 comments:

  1. this looks so good. I have never added bacon to mine, but I am going to have to try this one out...
    live laugh and enjoy
    Fire-Eyes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! Glad you are okay and I thank you for sharing this recipe. Mac and Cheese makes everything better. And how is your vanilla coming along? Kay Guest

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious. We love home made mac & cheese, but I've never put bacon in it. What a great idea!

    P.S. I was beginning to wonder where you were.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kay,
    The vanilla extract is good. It doesn't seem as strong as the store bought stuff so I just add a little more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love me some homemade mac & cheese, love the herbed breadcrumb topping - just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks really good. Thanks for your comment on my site. I grew up in the Portland area and miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, yeah, I want some! LOL on the country western song reference. Hope the wife and the car are well now! :-) Thanks so much for sharing this recipe, Brian.

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to see you back Brian - sorry it has been a rough few weeks. Thanks for sharing the yummy looking recipe.

    Char

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just made this, and um... it is RIDICULOUS! Moaning in pleasure kind of ridiculous. Used Tinkyada pasta (my fave, holds up to anything), really good blue cheese, sharp Tillamook cheddar and parmesan. Added fresh chives and to the topping added parmesan, fresh chives and flat leaf parsley and used Udi's whole grain bread. Will make again, and again, and again... Maybe will add chopped sauteed onions next time too. Should have paired with roasted broccoli, but all I had was red wine (which held up better than I think white would have). THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete

 
ss_blog_claim=48f73641ec8d8c4161bdd940ed323b1d