Sunday, August 16, 2009

Delicious Disaster

Before I get started, let's get one thing straightened out. I can make others things besides dessert. Really, I can. But dessert is so fun! Butter and sugar dance in my head as I drift off to sleep at night. Unfortunately, butter and sugar also want to jiggle around my midsection during the day. It's a love/hate thing; I know you understand. Anyway, Cathy, over at Noble Pig has been tempting me with one snickerdoodle based concoction after another. I think it started with snickerdoodle muffins, then snickerdoodle ice cream, and finally, banana snickerdoodle cookies. Enough!!!! I surrender!!!! I set off to find a relatively easy recipe to convert to gluten free. The one I used had a great flavor, but tasted a bit more like a sugar cookie with cinnamon than a true snickerdoodle. Oh well, I'll just have to try another snickerdoodle recipe. In the meantime, these cookies are nothing to complain about. I did have a bit of an issue getting the cookies off the cookie sheet since I ran out of parchment paper.
Snickerdoodles (kind of):
4 Tablespoons butter (1/2 stick-softened)
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 cup gluten free flour mix
1 tablespoon corn starch
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Cinnamon Sugar Mix:
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1-1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
Bake at 350 degrees F for 7-9 minutes
Makes about 12 cookies
Start by creaming together butter, sugars, and salt. Mix in the egg. In a separate bowl, sift together gf flour, cornstarch, and baking soda. Add 1/3 of the flour mix at a time until thoroughly mixed in.
In a small bowl, mix together sugar and cinnamon. Scoop about a tablespoon of dough into your hand, roll in to a ball and roll through the cinnamon-sugar mix. The dough is very soft.

Lightly press on to a greased or parchment lined cookie sheet and bake.

Here's my disaster! I ran out of parchment paper so I liberally greased my non stick cookie sheet. Despite this, every single cookie stuck to the pan and had to be scraped off.

When life hands you crumbled, gluten free snickerdoodles, make a snickerdoodle blizzard. We just mixed broken cookie pieces into vanilla ice cream. Crisis averted. Enjoy!!!

3 comments:

  1. Now you have me craving snickerdoodles. Fresh baked cookies are always good, even if they are in pieces. Putting them with ice cream was a wonderful idea.
    I've had good success with this recipe only I use butter instead of shortening.
    http://www.gluten.net/recipes/index.php?cmd=6&recid=95

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say that I've never had a snickerdoodle. However, these look delicious, especially over the ice cream =D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound awesome! I don't know if it would help but I chill all my cookie doughs before baking now (after much trial and error) it seems to make fluffier cookies and helps them not to bond to the sheet or paper.

    ReplyDelete

 
ss_blog_claim=48f73641ec8d8c4161bdd940ed323b1d