Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Gluten Free Breakfast Casserole

This week's theme for What Can I Eat That's Gluten Free is casseroles. I love the idea of throwing a few ingredients together and popping it in the oven for a simple meal. However, I rarely make casseroles. I didn't really grow up eating many casserole dishes, except for the occasional pot luck where the casseroles seemed to be more mystery than good eating. I am hoping to pick up some new and fresh ideas over at The Gluten Free Homemaker this week. For my contribution, I made a recipe that I got from my mother-in-law a few years back. This breakfast casserole is so simple and for my small family can serve us for a few days. It's also perfect for Easter and other family get togethers that involve breakfast or brunch.
Breakfast Casserole:
1/2 pound of meat (Bacon, Sausage, Ham, or a combination of any)
1/2 cup onion (chopped)
1/2 cup green bell pepper (Chopped)
12 eggs
1/2 cup milk (I use 1%)
1/2 cup water
1 package (about 16 ounces) fresh hash brown potatoes or frozen hash browns-thawed
4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp dill weed
Baking Directions:
Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 30-40 minutes Begin by cooking the bacon, sausage, or any other meat of your choice. Cut the meat into bite size pieces. While the meat is cooking, chop the onion and green pepper, set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together the 12 eggs, milk, water, salt, pepper, and dill weed. Add the meat, hash browns, cheese, onion, and pepper to the egg mix. Combine thoroughly.
Pour the whole mix into a 9x13 baking dish. Spread the mixture around in the baking dish to even it out. Bake at 375 degrees F for 30-40 minutes or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Allow to cool for a couple minutes before serving. The hash browns do a great job of holding this casserole together. Enjoy with a hot cup of coffee!!!

21 comments:

  1. This is probably something I could put together the night before and then pop in the oven in the morning. It would be a good hearty breakfast for my guys. I like the idea of putting hash browns in it. Thanks for the recipe Brian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm making breakfast casseroles this month, too! Yours looks great. I especially like the addition of dill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will definitely try this one!!!! Most likely will be my pick for recipe find of the month! I love breakfast and love all of these ingredients together. I might actually make it for dinner ("breakfast for dinner night"). Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have a second cup of coffee with mine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that's the way to start the day. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmm that looks yummy! We always made a breakfast casserole with bread and this looks like a great alternative. I'm looking forward to trying it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to share this on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's just about the recipe that I use for my favorite breakfast casserole. It's always a hit with us and guests. Yours look perfect, Brian. :-)

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just found your site thru Gluten Free Homemaker and I can't wait to make the breakfast casserole. I'm looking for simple GF recipes. I would love to win the GF mixes as that would help me as it's overwhelming right now to fix simple things with multiple allergies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I linked this breakfast after my hubby made it for an office get together! Thanks. DELICIOUS

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am making this for Dec. 26th Boxing Day in Canada, when my Christmas dinner company will be staying overnight. I want to serve it because my 20 yr. old grandson has Celiac Disease (as well as Diabetes), so this is best as it doesn't contain bread, and gluten-free bread is terribly dry. The only problem is that I wanted to print it, or send it on an email, and neither way worked, so I had to write it out by hand. Why is that? Thank you for the recipe, though. I am making it for tomorrow, 2 wks. before Christmas, to give it a try. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am going to surprise my dad with this on Christmas morning. He just found out 2 years ago that he has celiac disease and it has been very hard for him. He can never eat anything that he loves... this will make him soooo happy! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just made this for a work breakfast and EVERYONE LOVED IT!!! I am the only that is gluten free but everyone thought it was amazing!! I put it together the night before and then baked it the next morning- it was so moist! Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was AMAZING. I brought it to a MOPS, Mothers of Preschoolers, and no one knew it was gluten free and I made it dairy free using Daiya cheddar cheese and rice milk!! Totally amazing. I made this the night before and refrigerated it, so it required longer cooking time, but sooooo worth it!! Thanks so much for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi,

    Can you send me this without the colored background. On my screen, I can't read it and I'd love to have the recipe.

    Thank you.
    Sandy@solomonswann.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank You! I needed a gluten-free breakfast idea for my work potluck! These things tend to be gluten fests, so if I don't bring some real food, I'll end up having coffee and grapes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This recipe is insanely delicious! My daughter is allergic to cow milk, so I substituted with rice milk and goat cheese...but WOW!! I made it for a breakfast and had several requests for the recipe. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Made this today for my ladies Bible study, every single piece was eaten! Thank you for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have made this for the past 6 years for Christmas Day brunch. My granddaughter was diagnosed with Celiac Disease at 10 yrs old so this had worked so well. I replaced regular onions with green and the pepper with red ones so looks very festive in the table!

    ReplyDelete

 
ss_blog_claim=48f73641ec8d8c4161bdd940ed323b1d