Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies

There are many great cookies out there in the world. When I think of the quintessential comfort cookie, nothing compares to the original Toll House chocolate chip cookie recipe. Crispy golden brown on the outside, warm and chewy on the inside....mmm! mmm! mmm! These cookies are so easy to make gluten free. My wife and I have shared them with many people that could not tell that they were gf. Stop by the glutenfreehomemaker for other cookie and meal ideas. Let's get started.
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies:
inspired by the Original Nestle Toll House recipe
2-1/4 cups gf flour mix
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1-1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1 cup (2 sticks) butter (softened)
3/4 granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1/8 cup milk
2 cups (12 ounces) Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (I use Guittard)
Baking Directions:
Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 9-11 minutes In a small bowl; combine gf flour, xanthan gum, baking soda, and salt. In the bowl of a stand mixer; add butter, both sugars, and vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Note: I usually reduce the amount of butter by 3-4 tablespoons. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each one. Beat in the flour mix, about a 1/3 of the mix at a time. Next, beat in the milk. Note: The milk is an addition my wife found online. It is not part of the original recipe but it adds to the texture of the cookie quite nicely. Finally, stir in the chocolate chips.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place rounded tablespoons of dough on a well greased or parchment lined cookie sheet.
Bake for 9-11 minutes or until golden brown.
Despite my mothers repeated warnings that I may die from Salmonella poisoning in the raw eggs, I can't resist raw cookie dough. Sorry mom.
There is nothing more satisfying than a warm, fresh chocolate chip cookie and a glass of cold milk. Well, except for maybe the cookie dough. Enjoy!!!

12 comments:

  1. I love cookie dough too! These look wonderful. You are right, choc chip cookies is satisfying and comforting. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brain I'm definitely going to give these a try. I've tried several recipes. Some good and some not and cookie dough is a definite in my book as well. Who can resist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are able to make a version your family can enjoy. I'm sure they are delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definitely a sucker for cookie dough =D. These cookies are gorgeous. They look simply perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyone should eat chocolate chip cookies. :) Your look fantastic. I'm a sucker for cookie dough, too. When I'm working on a recipe I always make sure I'm not hungry or I eat way too much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have to bake these and immediately give them away. They would be a dangerous temptation for me! I would eat WAY too many. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am new to baking cookies GF.... do you think that brown rice flour will work well too? That's what I have at home, and I am now craving chocolate chip cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This dough is fantastic!! I ususally don't like raw gf cookie dough but this one is so tasty, so smooth and creamy. The cookies are in the oven as I type. I can't wait to tast them. Thank you for your recipes!! I love checking back to your site weekly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm, cookies are out of the oven and they are sooooo good!!! A great gf choco chip cookie recipe!!! BTW I made mine dairy free. I used Earth Balance and rice milk. My kids are very happy with me today!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There can never be enough chocolate chip cookie recipes IMHO! Yours look awesome, of course. The milk suprised me. My most recent chocolate chip cookie recipe was adapted from one by Winnie (Healthy Green Living). It uses almond flour and coffee. Mr. GFE likes the recipe better than my other one that has long been a family favorite. Re: the dough ... I always lick the spoon at the end at least. :-)

    I can't believe it's been this long since I commented on your blog. Sheesh. I think I'm caught up now! LOL Just didn't want to miss any of your great recipes. ;-)

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm trying these tomorrow! Not today...only because I'm sick of my kitchen after baking a DISASTER of a GF Chocolate Chip recipe tonight. :-( I will report back after baking this one tomorrow...I'm counting on you! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

 
ss_blog_claim=48f73641ec8d8c4161bdd940ed323b1d