Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Breakfast for Dinner

For this week's breakfast themed What's for Dinner? Wednesday I made omelettes. I have only tried to make omelettes once or twice in the past and the results were not that good. It was either too runny, overcooked, or it stuck to the pan. Recently though, I stumbled across a technique that made all the difference for me. The possibilities for omelette fillings are infinite. Here's how I made them:

Prep all your vegetables, meat, and cheese. I used red and green bell peppers, spinach, bacon, green and white onions, and extra sharp cheese.

In a small bowl, combine 3 eggs, 2 tbs of milk, and a pinch of salt and pepper together. Mix well with a fork. Next use 1 Tbs of oil or butter to grease a 10" pan. Turn on the oven broiler set to high. Pour eggs into the pan and swirl around until the bottom of the pan is covered. Cook on the stove top over medium heat. Don't stir the eggs but tip the pan up after a few minutes to check the eggs, they should be cooked on the bottom and a bit runny on top. At this point, add all the filling ingredients you want. Remove the pan from the stove top and place under the broiler for 1-2 minutes, keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn.

Remove from the oven and fold onto a plate. Top with a little extra cheese and serve with hash browns. Quick and easy. Enjoy!!!

8 comments:

  1. That looks really good! I've always failed in the omelet department, so I'll have to try out your technique. Makes me want omelets tonight! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea to use the broiler! I didn't intend for everyone to have breakfast ideas this week, it's just the only thing I could come up with. I enjoy the recipes, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and my husband are on the same wave length...this looks like weekend mornings at our house. I make breakfast for dinner every week...so easy to prep and always great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love breakfast for dinner! Omelettes for dinner is very French - they don't really eat them for breakfast anyway. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omelets are one of my favorite things for breakfast. I love to caramelize onions with mushrooms for my filling!!! Glad you found an approach that works for you. They can be tricky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM! Omelettes are so good! I loved them with cheese before I realized I was allergic to diary. I'll take tomato, spinach, onion and bacon please!! :) I found that thinning the egg is key for me, I use about 2 Tablespoons of water.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love breakfast for dinner too...beautiful presentation too...love the cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that looks great. I'm a sharp cheese fan also.

    ReplyDelete

 
ss_blog_claim=48f73641ec8d8c4161bdd940ed323b1d